Friday, May 3, 2013

52 Photos Abstract

52 week badge
Our assignment this week is to take an abstract photo by focusing on the visual language of form, color and lines.  I had a bit of a difficult time trying to figure this out...should it look like the real thing only changed in some way? Or should it be something real but transformed so as to be unrecognizable unless it was explained to the viewer?
According to one photography site, abstract does not represent the subject in a literal way, rather it communicates primarily through form, color and curves rather than detail, and evokes a strong reaction in the viewer. 
 Clear as mud?

My first stab at abstract photography using Picasa editing tools. A pretty photo with wonderful form, color and lines, but not quite what I'm looking for.

Again, edited with Picasa, and I do like the photo, but still not there.


This is  more what I was looking for. A close up of a glass votive with sweet little bubbles in the glass and a bonus reflection of a window. It makes me think of  the lovely bubbling brooks we sometimes see on our travels (well without the window).


The original photo.

Thank you for sticking with me through my trial and error.  I even tried Photoshop Elements for the first time but that takes a lot of practice and muddling around, which I did not have time for.  I'm still not sure I got right but it sure was fun trying.

When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence. – Ansel Adams

Please visit Sally's blog to see more Abstract photos.
As always, I enjoy your comments. 

19 comments:

lynsey said...

Oooh your images are lovely. That one of the vase is just gorgeous!!

Islandgirl said...

I don't think my pictures made it this week.. I had fun taking them//// your bubbles are defintely abstract but I like the first picture better!

AntiquityTravelers said...

wonderful photos and editing!

Beti Horvath said...

Thanks for inviting us into the process!

Unknown said...

Yes, your abstract does look like bubbles on water. Nicely done, and love the quote from A Adams.

thewovenspoke said...

Great images, and editing love the bubbles .

Claire said...

great photos! I love the pine cone, though the vase close-up is the most abstract, I guess :)

Shel said...

I did water drops, too!! I love all your pics,...the pinecone one is very cool and abstract (my opinion!). It's fun being challenged a bit each week, isn't it?!

brokenteepee said...

I've had elements for I can't tell you how many years and STILL don't know how to use it.

I like bubbles.

Meeling said...

Love the pinecone shot - very cool!

btw - love the necklace pictured in your header! :)

Tanya said...

I love the close up of the vase. I would have had no idea what it was. It's amazing how things look so different when you concentrate on one part.

Anonymous said...

I like them all, but the wheel draws me in. And then looking at the vase I can see it's very much an "abstract". Great shots!

Becky Pancake said...

My favorite is the pine cone pic.

glassbead, isinglass design said...

I like the votive with the window reflection. The wheel is nice and relaxing....

Paula, Chief Bead Officer said...

I agree with Becky - love the pine cone photo. Especially the way it curves to the left as if beckoning you to come for a close look.

Annette said...

I think they are all pretty awesome and I love the quote! So many of us had a hard time understanding abstract this week. I'm glad I wasn't the only one!

CraftyHope said...

I think you did an excellent job with this challenge, especially with that picture of the glass. It's great! I think you definitely got abstract with it.

LoriF said...

I love it! I have Elements as well, but I really, really need to spend some more time learning it. Picmonkey is fun...see the link in my post. There's really no learning curve to speak of.

Courtney Breul said...

I love all of them, but the wheel really speaks to me. :)