Thursday, January 5, 2012

Love The Skin You're In

So Tuesday was a long frustrating day at work; payroll, end of the month, end of the year, budget planning, and more. When the day finally ended it was just me at home as everyone else had places to be. So I poured myself a bowl of Frosted Flakes, flopped down in the recliner and watched three episodes of What Not To Wear. Yep, that’s three solid hours of watching TV, but I deserved it (and those Reeces Peanut Butter Cups too).



I love the show but haven’t watched this for a long time. With each episode, I noticed a common thread; all of the women dressed the way they did because of something painful in their past.

One woman was cheated on so much that she thought the only way to find love was by wearing revealing clothes. Another woman, who had just turned 51 and had already been divorced twice, wore clothes from the junior section because she wanted to look young in order to meet someone new. A young emerging illustrator wore men’s clothes because she couldn’t fit in at her school of her youth, where fashion was highly valued.

To accept ourselves as we are means to value our imperfections as much as our perfections.”
~Sandra Bierig

These women used clothes to either hide behind or to make someone else happy. While it was sad to watch, I’m betting that all of us have done that at one time or other. Women are under so much pressure to please everyone else. And thanks to magazines, TV ads, and movie stars, women are under even more pressure to look like a million bucks all the time.

While clothes don’t (and shouldn’t) make the person, we all know that having the right outfit and makeup can do wonders at boosting self-confidence. If you’ve ever watched the show, you know that Stacy, Clinton and the team work their magical makeovers, and in the process, giving the participant a boost of confidence.

Sure, we’ve all looked in the mirror at some time and didn’t like what we saw. But the real lesson here is to love yourself. Love the skin you’re in. The Good Lord made you just the way you are, and you’re the only you on this earth. Your job is to dress to please yourself, and not anyone else. OK? Pinky Swear?

You are you and that is true, there's no one in the world who's you-er than you.”
~Dr. Seuss

6 comments:

Shirley said...

Thank you dear, for this so important reminder. I get the same message from the show. I used to dress much differently from what I do now, and I can definitely see that I need a Stacy & Clinton makeover. That is one of the things I"m going to focus on for 2012, just loving me where I'm at, right now, and not focusing on the "if only". Have a wonderful day!

TesoriTrovati said...

Totally with you on this. Especially the Reese's Peanut Butter cups ;-)

I don't follow trends. I stick to plain colors and darker tones. That suits me. I prefer to show my true colors and my personality through my accessories and those are all over the map depending on how I am feeling. I do like the transformative power of the right clothes. My closet favorite show is How Do I Look? It is amazing what you can look like, no matter your size or shape, when you stop looking at the labels and sizes and start dressing for you.
Good thoughts!
Enjoy the day.
Erin

Sally Russick said...

Alice, I was eating cocoa krispies cereal and watched two hours of Top Chef Texas last night! Wish I had Reese's PB Cups too, I had to make due with hershey kisses! :)

I can be found in earth tone tops (mostly greens and vivid blue), pair of jeans and a great pair of boots or sandals if it's summer! A long time ago I accepted that i'm 5'10" tall! I'm comfortable in my skin most of the time! There are those times when I envy the perfect haircut on another women, but life's to short to worry about dressing for anyone but yourself! Besides, there are always beads to make me happy! :)

Kristin @ My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia said...

Such a great post and good reminder!
I used to always watch the show, back in the days when a lot of time was spent on the couch feeding babies now I barely watch tv. They are so great at bringing the best out in people and making them feel good about themselves.
I hope the pumpkin mask works for you. If there is anything in there that you think might give your skin a reaction just leave it out. Pumpkin is really good at helping calm your skin. Have a great Weekend!
XO

LizlovesVintage said...

Yes, indeed. We forget! I hate days like that. I hope you have a relaxing Sunday ;)
Thanks for stopping by and leaving me a comment.
xxx Liz

Cindy said...

Alice, what a great post and interesting how you noticed the ties from the past and how that impacts one's current way of dressing. I know myself I am hiding in my big sweaters about this time of year! :-) I think that kind of back fires though and makes me look even bigger! Thanks for the reminder to love who we are. Some days I'm better at that than others.