Mission San Jose was founded in 1720 and is still an active parish. Known as Queen of the Missions, San Jose was the largest of missions in the area, and considered a major cultural center. The missions served as a refuge for the natives who were continually pressed by encroaching neighboring tribes, and from the spread of European diseases that would eventually decimate their population. The Indians found shelter and food in exchange for labor.
Housing quarters for the native Indians
Below: The Granary which is quite large.
Below, a peek into the Indian Quarters