Friday, January 24, 2014

Focus on Life One Word

Our assignment: Sally says:
There are so many words, a simple grouping of letters that bombard us everyday, that impact our everyday life.  They make us think, effect our purchasing of items and influence how we view ourselves.  This week we will focus on words.  What word speaks to you, makes you laugh, makes you feel good about your being and who you are in that moment.  Is there a word that stands out, you find interesting, you think is fun to say. 
 
This is word found on a book titled 101 Best Family Card Games
 
When I was young Sundays were for going to church, followed by visiting family. And they still are. 
I knew what family meant: Grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins gathering around a table of food.
But it wasn't until my mom had cancer that I realized family meant much more.
It was our church family who visited and prayed for mom, and who served lunch at her funeral.
It was the people in our small town who sent cards and well wishes.
And it was the waitresses at Pizza Hut who took off work to attend her funeral.
So who's in your family? Let them know they are appreciated.
 

17 comments:

Mary K. McGraw said...

Great word and sentiment in your post this week.

Annette said...

Family is an awesome word and means so much to so many. You don't have to be blood related to be family...thank goodness!!

Nelly May said...

That's a beautiful post Alice. I almost chose family too. Such an important and wonderful thing.

Claire said...

What a lovely post! We've been in lovely church families in the US and in our last UK location, but not here - which is a shame :( I miss the extended family connections...

Anonymous said...

I am sorry for your loss. Your post is beautifully written and a timely reminder for me. It is too easy to take the people we care about for granted. Thank you!

Jen Judd said...

Everyone can define family differently...love that focus this week!

Islandgirl said...

Great word choice. It's always good to have a close family!

Becky Pancake said...

Alice that is a wonderful choice for your word. Family is at the heart of who we are and what we do.

Shel said...

Beautiful post Alice. You're so right, family is who you make them.

Beti Horvath said...

Love your post! Words don't have to be complicated to cause us to ponder their meaning. Family is a wonderful thing to ponder!

elisabeth said...

What a wonderful post! and so true - life is short and its twists and turns are unexpected - so we need to tell everyone one we love every day that we love them!

Alicia said...

A wonderful post and a great reminder of what's truly important! Thank you for sharing

Paula, Chief Bead Officer said...

You selected a perfect word. And also noted there are so many different types of families - those we are born with, those we chose and those who choose us. And all are special in their own way. BTW, is that a new blog header? Maybe I haven't looked at it for awhile but I like it!

brokenteepee said...

Beautiful. My family are all back East. Unless you count the goats....

Sandi Volpe said...

What a great word, we had nice brunch with my Dad today, I cherish every moment we are together!

Shai Williams said...

What a great post and a reminder. I live rather far away from my family and tend to be guilty of not calling just to chat. I think that I am going to call my Mom this afternoon just cuz...

A Polymer Penchant said...

What a beautiful community family you have. I am very lucky to have many friends I count as family - and family that are friends. It always brings to mind a lyric from a Pearl Jam song "I'm a lucky man to count on both hands The ones I love..." it's a pretty song - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuq7RYQ8Wa0