Saturday, August 31, 2013

Challenge of Travel - Kansas


This year Erin suggested a stay cation as our theme for the 2nd Annual Challenge of Travel.
Kansas sometimes gets a bad rap for being boring, but I would bet if people slowed down and took a closer look instead of zooming on to their destination in another state, they might be surprised.

The state of Kansas is named after the Kansa Native American Tribe.  The tribe's name is often said to mean 'South Wind People'
The state motto is 'To the Stars Through Difficulties'
Nickname is the Sunflower State
After the Civil War large numbers of immigrants settled in Kansas, the largest being the Germans and Mennonites. The Czech's settled in as well and the town of Wilson became the home of the Czech Bohemians. Lindsborg in the Smoky Valley region was settled by Swedish immigrant pioneers. And the only remaining all black town west of the Mississippi of Nicodemus was established by freed slaves in 1877, and is now a historic site.
Kansas has many interesting cities where you can explore forts, rock formations, farms, museums, historical homes and so much more.
 But for now I'm focusing on the Tallgrass Prairie.

Tallgrass Prairie during the Symphony on the Prairie. The view goes on and on.

Tallgrass prairie once covered more than 140 million acres of the United States from Indiana to Kansas and from Canada to Texas.  Nearly all of it is gone, plowed under for agriculture.

Ranchers overlooking the trail posing with their trusty steeds.


Here ranchers lead cattle to water as the sun begins to set.

Covered wagons treat guests to a spin out on the prairie.

The perfect ending to a perfect day.

I made a necklace for this challenge to celebrate the state flower. The ceramic focal came from 
Slate Studio Supply. I didn't finish the piece because I completely ran out of the brass chain. I think you can picture what the end result will be.




Thank you for  letting me share my home state with you.  Please hop on over to Erin's blog to see more wonderful places.






21 comments:

Cece Cormier said...

Simply sweet design.

Unknown said...

What a pretty necklace and your pictures are just wonderful. How nice to be able to see far off!

Monique (A Half-Baked Notion) said...

Beautiful salute to your State Flower, Alice... the small bead accents look so playful!

EB Bead and Metal Works, LLC said...

Wonderful way to show us Kansas :) I do have to say I was stationed at Fort Riley for three and half years and I didn't get out and visit the state as much as I should have. Thanks for showing me another side of Kansas!

Shai Williams said...

What a sweet tribute to your state flower. Just lovely.

Mal said...

We have sunflowers here too! Thanks for sharing your home and your necklace!

Karin G said...

These are amazing landscapes, thank you for sharing your vision of Kansas through photos and this beautiful flower necklace.

Tanya said...

What an absolutely gorgeous necklace! I live in Kansas, but so far east that I have never really seen the Kansas prairie. Thank you so much for giving me a little tour and lesson.

Caron Michelle said...

What a fascinating insight into Kansas and adding another dimension to this wonderful area. I loved your description and photos of the Prairie, such beautiful scenes. Thank you for sharing.

Anonymous said...

I would love to see your prairie. The piece you are making is a beautifully simple work. I like your little flower and the beads.

Gale said...

That is a lot of prairie! I'm enjoying learning about everyone's special place. And I like how you so simply brought out the sunniness in Sarah's flower.

Anonymous said...

I'm guilty of speeding through Kansas on the way from West to East, and sad to say missed the prairie. I love your sunflower necklace, it's simply sweet!

CraftyHope said...

Oh, that a really pretty necklace! I love me some sunflowers and this one really speaks to me. It's just so lovely in its almost-rustic-ness. I like that.

Lisa Cone - Inspired Adornments said...

Long and simple like the prairie. The gold captures the sunlight and forever field. So pretty.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing your beautiful pics and the interesting information about your home state. This is a fantastic challenge were we learn more about the places where the participants live. Your sunny necklace is lovely with the pretty focal. The round beads make me think about the life-giving sun and sunflower seeds.
Iris

Maplegirl said...

Kansas is one state that I have never visited, and your pictures really show a wide, expanse of nature which looks wonderful. I adore Sarah's pendants, and you have done it well with the seedbeads to match it in the chain.

Maneki said...

Beautiful necklace! I like the simple, rustic style. A bit retro, like the old ceramic designs that got trendy again a few years ago. And the seeds are a nice touch that makes the whole difference.

those pics... Ah, now that's the old America I know from my childhood's wild west tv series. Coming from a place with hilly terrain and variegated nature it's a bit hard to image those vast, open horizons of a big prairie. What it'd feel like if standing there in the middle of it. Even after having seen the grain field-covered plains over here.

It wasn't until I began blog hopping that I encountered the idea that Kansas was boring. On the other hand, as a swede, I instead knew nothing at all about the state. Could probably not find it on a map. (My emigrant forefathers didn't get that far west as far as I know.) No, I know one thing: Dorothy in Wizard of Oz (which I've never seen a whole adaptation of) was from there, wasn't she?

Dawn Doucette said...

Beautiful! I really love the softness of the flower pendant!

Unknown said...

Your bracelet is so sweet and delicate. It is a shame the wide wilderness is shrinking more and more. So glad you have some to enjoy, thanks for sharing it.

TesoriTrovati said...

I love sunflowers! They are so bright and cheery. I love seeing whole fields of them following the sun. I would love to see the wide open spaces in Kansas! And now I know where to visit if I am ever lucky enough to pass that way! Sorry that it took me so long to get around to all the hometowns. With this fundraiser I am doing it has taken all my free time this past week. I want to savor every one! Thank you for joining me on the journey! Enjoy the day. Erin

Sharyl said...

I'm a Kansan too, and I say you did Kansas proud! :-) Great job!